Smart home technology and its integration our daily lives/lifestyle is the next "big thing" in home ownership and construction. As technology continues to advance at an unprecedented rate, tech professionals are finding ways to make our lives easier.
As smart home technology is starting to be integrated more and more, it is useful to understand the definition of a smart home and what is needed to qualify a home as "smart."
A Smart Home is equipped with "smart products" that are controlled via WiFi/Bluetooth by your laptop or smartphone. We see "smart" products that are created for entertainment, security, lighting, cooking, and temperature. The requirements for a smart home are as follows.
A home must have one of the following in addition to a reliable internet connection:
1. A smart security feature, like a smart lock or security system
2. Or a smart heating/cooling feature like a Nest
In addition to those listed above, it must also contain at least 2 of the following features:
• Lighting (smart light bulbs and lighting systems)
• Safety (smart fire / carbon monoxide detectors and nightlights)
• Entertainment (smart TVs and TV streaming services)
• Appliances (smart refrigerators and smart washer / dryers)
• Heating / Cooling (smart HVAC system, smart fans or vents)
• Outdoors (smart plant sensors and watering systems)
Next time you tour a home, take a look around and see if you can spoke the "smart" features. Talk to me if you want to learn how to upgrade your home into a "smart" home!